Connect with us

News

See Faces Of The Two Lebanese Jailed For Attempting To Smuggle $890,000 Out Of Nigeria (Photos)

Published

on

A court in Port Harcourt has sentenced two Lebanese men caught attempting to smuggle $890,000 out of Nigeria. 

Chamseddine Waell Mohammed and Dina Jihad Khali

Chamseddine Waell Mohammed and Dina Jihad Khali A Nigerian court in Port Harcourt has convicted two Lebanese nationals who were found with the sum of $890,000 which they wanted to smuggle out of Nigeria. They were caught at the Port Harcourt International Airport, Rivers State, and jaile on Thursday, two years each for money laundering.  The two men, Chamseddine Waell Mohammed and Dina Jihad Khali, were sentenced by Justice M.I. Sani of the Federal High Court, Port Harcourt after they pleaded guilty of the money laundering charges brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). According to the anti-graft commission, the offences committed by them ran contrary to Section 2 (3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (as amended) and punishable under Section 2 (5) of the same Act. The EFCC in a statement on Thursday said one of the charges against them is: “That you Chamseddine Waell Mohammed on the 1st August, 2020 at Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa, Port Harcourt, within the jurisdiction of this court did fail to make a declaration of the sum of $220,000.“The money was hidden in your luggage on board a chartered flight with registration number 9HVFF to Lebanon and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 2 (3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (as Amended) and punishable under section 2 (5) of the same Act.”

The charge against the second convict read: “That you Dina Jihad Khali on the 1st August, 2020 at Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa, Port Harcourt within the jurisdiction of this court did fail to make a declaration to the Nigeria Custom Service as required by law cash transportation of the sum of $670,000.“The money was hidden in your Luggage on board a chartered flight with registration number 9HVFF to Lebanon and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 2 (3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (as Amended) and punishable under Section 2 (5) of the same Act.”

 According to the statement, while reviewing facts of the case, prosecuting counsel, Aso Larrys Peters tendered some documents, which included Letter of Invitation from Customs and statements of the defendants, as exhibits. “Principal Detective Superintendent Macaulay Olayinka while being led in evidence by prosecution counsel, told the court that the two convicts were arrested for attempting to smuggle a total sum of $890,000 out of Nigeria, through the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa. He further disclosed that the money recovered from the suspects had been deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria, Rivers State Branch, for safe keeping by the arresting agency. 

 In view of the reviewed facts, the prosecution prayed the court to convict and sentence the defendants as charged. Justice Sani consequently convicted and sentenced the defendants to two years imprisonment. The undeclared amount was ordered forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

Igboho promises a protest if his accounts are not released

Published

on

Self-acclaimed political dissident, Mr. Sunday Adeyemo, otherwise called Sunday Igboho, on Tuesday, blamed the Federal Government for freezing his financial assets, following his assault on the fulani herdsmen in Oyo State.

Igboho, who addressed Vanguard, affirmed that all his financial asset have been frozen by the Federal Government since certain individuals were gathering donations.

Nonetheless, Igboho said he had no hands in the said donations, cautioning that his records should be released to dodge protest by young people across the South-West area.

His words: “They have frozen my bank accounts because I am fighting a just course.

I know Yoruba people are behind me.“I will not relent. I must achieve my aims by putting an end to criminalities in Yorubaland.

“If they refuse to release my accounts, there will be serious protests across the South-West.

“Yes, the Yoruba are living in fear. They are afraid that the killer-herdsmen might attack them.

Continue Reading

News

IGP adamu retires

Published

on

Adamu enrolled in the Police Force on February 2, 1986.

The IGP who will turn 60 on September 17, was appointed IGP in January 2019. He has gone through two years in office.

Three Deputy Inspectors-General of Police (DIGs) and 10 Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs) are additionally due for retirement with him today.

It is accepted that there is a mission to broaden Adamu’s residency.

However, some have contended against such expansion, since it would negate the arrangements of the Police Act 2020 that fixes the retirement of cops at 60 years old or 35 years of administration.

Section 18(8) of the new Act states: “Every police officer shall, on recruitment or appointment, serve in the Nigeria Police Force for 35 years or until the age of 60 years, whichever is earlier.”

The Act provides for a tenure of four years for the Inspector General of Police.

Section 7, subsection 2 of the Act provides that: “The person to be appointed as Inspector General of Police shall be a senior police officer not below the rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police with the requisite academic qualification of not less than a first degree or its equivalent, in addition to professional or management experience.”

Continue Reading

News

Ortom tests positive for Covid-19

Published

on

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has tested positive for the feared COVID-19.

The declaration was made on Wednesday by his Chief Press Secretary, Terver Akase.

Review that a significant number of the governor’s aides which includes his personal physician, aide de camp, orderly, permanent secretaries among others recently tested positive for the virus.

Akase in an articulation made accessible to writers in Makurdi said that “the most recent result of the governor’s COVID-19 test has brought positive back.

This follows the test results of most of the Governor’s close aides who also returned positive in the last few weeks.

“Though the Governor has not shown any symptoms of the disease, he has already commenced treatment as prescribed by medical personnel.

The assertion added that the governor exhorted the individuals who have interacted with him over the most recent few days to go for test.

“The Governor says it is equally important that those who came in contact with other persons who have tested positive for the virus should go for a test to ascertain their COVID-19 status.

Akase said that Governor Ortom encouraged Benue individuals to keep on noticing the safety measures for the avoidance of the infection, for example, wearing of face masks, utilization of sanitisers, ordinary hand washing and physical distancing.

He urges the individuals not to fear going for COVID-19 test as doing so would help in containing the spread of the illness.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: