Connect with us

News

Nigerian care worker ordered to leave UK by the end of the month

Published

on

A Nigerian care worker in the UK has been ordered to leave the country by the end of the month despite his contributions towards fighting the Coronavirus pandemic. 

30-year-old Anugwom Izuchukwu Goodluck left Nigeria in 2018 to study a master’s degree in International Relations at the University of Sussex. After graduating last summer, he began agency work in care homes around the Brighton and Hove area, having trained to become a carer during his course.

The Nigerian man had been working in care homes until his visa application was denied due to the height of the lockdown period. He was no longer able to work and was issued a deportation notice back to Nigeria. 

Nigerian care worker ordered to leave UK by the end of the month?

Speaking of his work, Anugwom told Metro UK: ‘I used to sing and dance for the residents, it was amazing to be with them, just pure happiness. Then it’s all gone in the blink of an eye and I didn’t even get to get to say goodbye. 

‘They stopped me from working amid the rising cases as I couldn’t offer my services to the agency.

‘I was designated illegal for work, it’s very depressing.’ 

Izuchukwu whose mother and brother both live in the UK, reportedly applied for a family visa but was told in March that he would not be able to stay. 

He said that in ‘an ideal world’ he would like to become a UK citizen as he would like an extension to get back on to the frontline of the care sector. However, he is now facing deportation back to Nigeria.

When asked about the case, the Home Office said that Anugwom must leave the country by the end of July. 

A spokesperson said: ‘We are incredibly grateful for all the work that carers have done during coronavirus, which is why we have made them exempt from the immigration health surcharge. 

‘Those who are in the UK must follow the immigration rules – and that includes not continuing to work in the UK after applications for visas have been refused.

 ‘We have granted individuals who cannot return home due to coronavirus leave to remain until July 31.’

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Health

Best WASSCE candidate of 2019 dies of cancer.

Published

on

Enugu state student who passed 2019 WASSCE with 7As dies of malignancy.

Chisom Chukwuneke, an understudy who arose the best 2019 candidate of the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination, WASSCE, in her school, has died subsequent to fighting leukemia.

Douglas Ifeanyi Uzochukwu, Principal of Graceland College in Enugu where she moved on from a year ago, affirmed the sad news to TheCable Lifestyle yesterday.

Uzochukwu said chisom, 17, kicked the bucket after a delayed treatment in South Africa.

“I’m not her father. I can’t speak much on that but she passed on from leukemia after prolonged treatment in South Africa,” he added.

In a statement written via the school’s Facebook page, he wrote: “Forever in our hearts! Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint you left in our Hall of Fame. A truly outstanding student! Rest In Peace Chisom!”

Felix Chukwuneke, a Nigerian professor identified as the father of the deceased, also took to Facebook to explain how Chisom’s sickness started as pain in her leg.

He said this had prompted him to fly her to South Africa for medical care. “ It was just like a dream but the realities are crystal now. Just a pain on the leg that snowballed to a devastating episode, the battle started earnestly.

I hear you call, ‘daddy my leg is paining me’. I watch as you lie abed with pain,” he said in a long tribute to the deceased.

Continue Reading

Trending

Court dismisses marriage due to supposed ritual

Published

on

Court breaks up 10-year old marriage over marathon sex, affirmed money ritual .

A Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan, on Tuesday, broken down a 10-year-old marriage between one Basirat Adeyoyin and spouse, Adeyoyin Niyi over supposed ritual and marathon sex.

Conveying judgment, the President of the court, Chief Ademola Odunade said that the court would not watch until there was insurgency prior to settling on the correct choice.

Odunade, consequently, disintegrated the relationship among Basirat and Niyi in light of a legitimate concern for harmony and peacefulness.

He granted guardianship of the two kids born to both of them to the offended party and requested the respondent to pay N10, 000 as the kids’ month to month taking care of recompense.

The court additionally requested Niyi to be answerable for their schooling and other government assistance. In her previous record, Basirat, an inhabitant of Olonsogo-Molete, told the court that she was throwing in the towel with her better half since “he was putting forth a urgent attempt to utilize her for money ritual”.

The woman added that she first notification this when her husband didn’t show any empathy after she lost her last pregnancy because of an excessive number of sexual intercourse with him.

Suddenly in 2018, Niyi came home one night and told me that he received a message that he must have seven-day marathon sex with me without a gap of any day. “I read no meaning to it and I allowed him until there was a problem. “I was already carrying a three-month-old pregnancy before that time and on the second day of the marathon sex, I lost the pregnancy.

“I took care of myself in the hospital only for Niyi to come home to start requesting for the continuation of the seven-day marathon sex even when I was still bleeding. “Then, I consulted my parents and relatives and from every indication, we discovered that he was trying to use me for money ritual,” Basirat said.

Consenting to the suit, the respondent didn’t prevent the claim from getting the marathon sex yet decided to raise new issues by and large.

Niyi presented that his wife was excessively inconvenient for him and was an imprudent housewife.

“Even if this court would dissolve my marriage, I pray to be given custody of the two children because Basirat cannot take care of them.

“One of the young boys in our neighbourhood raped our first child and she did not tell me about the incident. “My lord, it was because she often overstays in the market that such a thing could happen,” Niyi added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Army admits to firing live rounds at the Lekki toll gate incident

Published

on

The Nigerian armed force has conceded that soldiers took live bullets to the Lekki toll gate.

As indicated by The PUNCH, the Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo, has clarified that Phase Four of military inner security activity, which was conveyed at the Lekki toll gate on the night October 20, included the utilization of both live and clear ammo.

He said the troopers took live projectiles to the scene with the end goal of self defence .

Taiwo said a segment of the soldiers that worked at the toll gate on that night were to be sure equipped with live shots. He, nonetheless, kept up that lone officers with clear bullets discharged shots into the air. The overall expressed this on Saturday at the continued procedures of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry examining the supposed killing of #EndSARS dissidents at the Lekki toll gate evening of October 20 by soldiers.

Taiwo, who had prior made an introduction before the board with regards to the Nigerian Army on November 14, returned on Saturday for questioning by two guidance for #EndSARS dissenters, Messrs Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN) and Mr Adesina Ogunlana.

When Olumide-Fusika asked Taiwo if soldiers who went to the tollgate carried guns, Taiwo said, “When you are talking of guns, you are talking about high-calibre guns. They were carrying rifles; not guns.”

On further pressing by Olumide-Fusika, Taiwo added, “Definitely, a portion of the Force will carry live bullets, in case they are attacked.

But the soldiers that formed the firing team, who fired, used blank bullets. And that is why you watched the video and saw exactly what happened.” Also, under cross-examination by Ogunlana, Taiwo explained that in Phase Four military internal security operation “soldiers would be given both live and blank bullets.” He said, “In this particular case, we saw that the peaceful protest had been infiltrated by hoodlums.

They were peaceful protesters, no doubt, but there were also hoodlums who sought to take advantage, that was why they were armed with blank bullets in addition with live bullets.”

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: