Connect with us

News

Mother sentenced to 35 years in prison for beating her son to death with shower head for soiling himself

Published

on

37-year-old JoAnn Cunningham has been sentenced to 35 years in prison for beating her son to death with shower head because he soiled himself. 

The mother who pleaded guilty to the first degree murder of her son Andrew “AJ” Freund in 2019, must serve 100% of the sentence and if released at age 72, must serve a further three years of mandatory supervised release and register as a felon who has committed violence against children.

Though the boy’s family had hoped for the maximum 60 years behind bars for the 41 separate charges Cunningham and her husband, Andrew Freund Sr, faced between them, Judge Robert Wilbrandt who delivered the sentence on Friday afternoon said his decision was based on the fact that the murder charge to which Cunningham pleaded guilty did not include the aggravating factors of the original charges.

The couple had called to report that their son was missing on April 18, 2019. While an investigation found no trace of the boy or of an abduction at home; the police did find squalid conditions, bags of used syringes, chains and locks on the windows and doors of AJ’s room and a combination lock on his closet.

A search of Cunningham’s phone unearthed a video which had been shot on March 4: “AJ is seen laying on a bare mattress in a crib in a room I recognized to be his bedroom,” Detective Edwin Maldonado of the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office, wrote in an affidavit. “In the video, a female with a voice consistent with JoAnn’s is holding the phone and videotaping. She is berating AJ for urinating on his bed.”

The officer said that in the video the child is naked except for bandages around his wrist and hips; he is covered in bruising, Action News Jax reported. When confronted with this video, police said Freund confessed and showed them the shallow grave where he had buried his son.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

FG announces zamfara a restricted air space

Published

on

FG announces Zamfara a restricted air space, orders huge military deployment.

The Nigerian government has forced a restricted air space in Zamfara as a feature of endeavors to handle the security challenges in the state.

As indicated by The Cable, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno uncovered on Tuesday, March 2, that President Muhammadu Buhari has restricted mining exercises in Zamfara to stop the rising instability.

He said the president had requested the service of protection to convey a huge military and insight resources for reestablish routineness in the state. The Nation detailed that they requested the military to recover all regions heavily influenced by desperados, radicals.

Monguno said:

“We can no longer avoid to lose lives while operating within the legalities. We are not going to blackmailed . The government has the responsibility to assert its will.

“Citizens can reside wherever they want to reside . Anybody who is a criminal should be brought to book.”

The security adviser stated that the president also warned against ethnic profiling.Zamfara state has recorded a few assaults by bandits.The new incident included the grabbing of many young ladies from the Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe, Talatu-Mafara nearby government zone of the state.

Continue Reading

News

Igboho promises a protest if his accounts are not released

Published

on

Self-acclaimed political dissident, Mr. Sunday Adeyemo, otherwise called Sunday Igboho, on Tuesday, blamed the Federal Government for freezing his financial assets, following his assault on the fulani herdsmen in Oyo State.

Igboho, who addressed Vanguard, affirmed that all his financial asset have been frozen by the Federal Government since certain individuals were gathering donations.

Nonetheless, Igboho said he had no hands in the said donations, cautioning that his records should be released to dodge protest by young people across the South-West area.

His words: “They have frozen my bank accounts because I am fighting a just course.

I know Yoruba people are behind me.“I will not relent. I must achieve my aims by putting an end to criminalities in Yorubaland.

“If they refuse to release my accounts, there will be serious protests across the South-West.

“Yes, the Yoruba are living in fear. They are afraid that the killer-herdsmen might attack them.

Continue Reading

News

IGP adamu retires

Published

on

Adamu enrolled in the Police Force on February 2, 1986.

The IGP who will turn 60 on September 17, was appointed IGP in January 2019. He has gone through two years in office.

Three Deputy Inspectors-General of Police (DIGs) and 10 Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs) are additionally due for retirement with him today.

It is accepted that there is a mission to broaden Adamu’s residency.

However, some have contended against such expansion, since it would negate the arrangements of the Police Act 2020 that fixes the retirement of cops at 60 years old or 35 years of administration.

Section 18(8) of the new Act states: “Every police officer shall, on recruitment or appointment, serve in the Nigeria Police Force for 35 years or until the age of 60 years, whichever is earlier.”

The Act provides for a tenure of four years for the Inspector General of Police.

Section 7, subsection 2 of the Act provides that: “The person to be appointed as Inspector General of Police shall be a senior police officer not below the rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police with the requisite academic qualification of not less than a first degree or its equivalent, in addition to professional or management experience.”

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: