Connect with us

Breaking News

Court orders EFCC to return Mompha’s passport, wrist watches and iPhone

Published

on

Court orders EFCC to return Mompha?s passport, wrist watches and iPhone

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been ordered to release all items seized from Ismaila Mustapha popularly known as Mompha by a federal high court sitting in Lagos. 

Justice Liman who ruled on a July 6 application filed by Mompha’s counsel, Mr Gboyega Oyewole (SAN), ordered the return of the items which include five luxury wristwatches, an apple iPod, an iPhone 8 device and a pair of sunglasses. They are reportedly among the items found on him during his arrest last October 19, in Abuja.

Court orders EFCC to return Mompha?s passport, wrist watches and iPhone

The federal high court judge who noted that the prosecution has the right to seize a property during an arrest, likewise a duty to approach the court for an interim order, stated that due process must be observed and failure to do this is considered illegal. Liman further averred that the items had been with the EFCC for eight months already.

He said; 

“None of these items was listed as exhibit, none of the items was listed on the charge. At this stage, there is nothing on record that the items seized is being investigated on.

“The retention of the property without compliance with due process violates the requirements of Section 29 of the Act”

“Failure to release the property is illegal. As at today, no charge has been filed regarding the items. It is too long to withhold the applicant properties.”

Mompha is standing trial alongside his company, Ismalob Global Investment Ltd, on an amended twenty two-count charge bordering on cyber fraud and money laundering to the tune of N33 billion. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Trending

Breaking: Bitcoin crosses $19,000 for the first time since December 2017

Published

on

By

The pioneer digital coin broke above the critical resistance of $19,000 for the first time in nearly three years. At the time of writing, BTC/USD is changing hands at $18,980. 

Continue Reading

Trending

APC considering Jonathan as Buhari’s predecessor

Published

on

A report claims legislators in the APC are now attempting to find an appropriate official competitor for the 2023 political race.

It was announced that an ongoing visit by APC to ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan was partially political.

The visit by the APC lead representatives has again started with rumors about a Jonathan administration in 2023.

An arising report has asserted that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is attempting to persuade a previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, to run for president on its foundation in 2023.

The report which was conveyed by This Day asserted that a few heads of the gathering have been constraining the previous president to think about the offer.

The paper expressed that a source who talked secretly said lead representatives on the foundation of the APC who visited Jonathan to congratulate with him on his 63 birthday commemoration, utilized the event to inconspicuously speak to their official proposition to him.

As indicated by the cases, Buhari’s partners accept that Jonathan would be innocuous to their gathering interest and as such the perfect individual to dominate if control somehow happened to move toward the South.

A source in Buhari’s camp who would not like to be recognized was cited to have stated:

“He handed over power peacefully and nursed no bitterness against anyone and therefore will not be a threat to the interest of the north. In any case, Jonathan has in the past denied any interest in challenging for the administration.

The previous president clarified that he was centered around his foundation.

Then, following the tumults by some geo-political zones to create the following leader of Nigeria, the legislative head of Kogi state, Yahaya Bello, has uncovered the characteristics of who might become President Buhari’s replacement.

Bello when speaking Channels TV on Thursday, November 20, said the PDP’s ambition to take back power is a “lofty dream” and ”castles in the air.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

International Criminal Court (ICC) to Probe into #EndSARS Extra-judicial killings

The ICC set to conduct preliminary examination with regards to the ongoing #EndSARS protests in the country.

Published

on

The ICC set to conduct preliminary examination with regards to the ongoing #EndSARS protests in the country.

According to BBC, ICC confirmed that the office of prosecutor has received information on alleged crime. In a statement they made it known that the focus of the preliminary examination is to “assess whether the legal criteria for opening an investigation under the Rome Statute are met”, and the findings of their will be made public.

The #EndSARS protests have seen no less than 50 deaths of the country’s citizens; at least 5 soldiers and 10 policemen have also been reported dead during massive 2-week protests which sadly came to a grand ending on the night of November 20th where peaceful #EndSARS protesters where gunned to death at the Lekki tollgate.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: