The spectacular biannual African football competition has always been known to be exciting, intriguing captivating and filled with surprises. However, this year’s promises to be no different.
The 2019 African Cup of Nations will feature “24 countries” for the first time. Football lovers in many parts of the world are in high spirit to watch the 32nd edition of the African Nations Cup.
Here are few interesting facts about the spectacular football competition:
1. Cameroon are the reigning champions of Africa and this time around, they will face serious contest from other nations who are ready for this championship.
It should be recalled that Vincent Aboubakar came off the bench to score a stunning winner with two minutes left as Cameroon fought back to beat Egypt 2-1 in a thrilling 2017 Africa Cup of Nations final in Libreville, Gabon.
2. The AFCON 2019 was initially meant to be hosted by Cameroon but in November 2018, Cameroon was stripped of hosting the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. The reasons were due to infrastructural delays, the insurgency and the Anglophone Crisis in Cameroon. Hence, by January 2019, Egypt was chosen to replace Cameroon as this year’s AFCON host.
Read Also: AFCON 2019: Don’t underrate Burundi, Finidi warns Eagles
3. The video assistant referees (VARs), which has generated much heated controversy will be used for the first time during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, starting from the Round of 16.
4. Tanzania will play the 2019 African Cup of Nations for the first time in 39 years. They qualified for the tournament under the leadership of Nigerian Emmanuel Amuneke.
5. Mauritania, Namibia and Burundi all qualified for the African Cup of Nations for the first time this year. Hence they will make their first ever AFCON appearance as newbies.
6. This will be the fifth time that Egypt will host the African Cup. Egypt had previously hosted the tournament in 1959, 1974 1986, 2006 and now 2019. They are now the country to have hosted it the most in the entire continent. Egypt will make use of 6 stadiums in 4 major cities for the tournament.
7. The most successful winners of AFCON has been Egypt with seven titles followed by Cameroon (five), Ghana (four), Nigeria (three) and the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Ivory Coast (two each).
8. Historically, Cameroonian Samuel Eto’o is the leading overall Cup of Nations scorer, notching 18 goals in six tournaments between 2000 and 2010
9. 2019 will be the first time the tournament features 24 teams, this is in tandem to CAF decision to expand the tournament in order to enhance competitiveness.
10. Fourteen countries of the 54 nations of CAF have won the AFCON trophy The 14 countries are Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, DR Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Algeria, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Africa, Tunisia, Morocco, Congo-Brazzaville and Zambia while six others have reached the final without ever winning it, they are; Mali, Burkina Faso, Uganda, Guinea, Libya and Senegal.
Source: The Nation/ Afcon2019/instagram
Mr Eazi proposes to Temi Otedola!
For what seemed like a long while, celebrity power couple—Mr Eazi and Temi Otedola—are finally engaged as Oluwatosin Ajibade better known as Mr Eazi pops the heartwarming “Will you be my wife?” question to his girlfriend of 2 years Temiloluwa Otedola and she responded favourably in the affirmative “Yes” tone.
Fashion mogul and Icon Temi Otedola began dating artiste and music label CEO Mr Eazi in the year 2020 and have been living together ever since in their London apartment, sharing intimate moments, even meeting respective family members. This they’ve both shared in detail on their How Far? With Mr Eazi And Temi Otedola podcast.
Temi announced her engagement by posting the sea-side proposal of Mr Eazi on one knee asking the important question. The video goes by the simple caption of the infinity logo connoting they’re both locked in for life.
Congratulations to Temi Otedola and Mr Eazi!
Nicki Minaj agrees “Essence” should be song of the year at the Grammys
American superstar rapper, Nicki Minaj, shares the same sentiments as myriads of Wizkid fans and well-wishers worldwide, in that she concurs to the argument the trendsetting crossover record-breaking single from Wizkid’s 2020 released “Made In Lagos” album, Essence should be in the conversation for the coveted “Record of the Year” plaque at this year’s Grammy Awards.
Nicki Minaj agrees with Joe Budden that Essense should be Grammy Song Of The Year pic.twitter.com/hvdxQlItod
— King Henry 🥷🏾🛸 (@Kinghenryyyyyy) March 9, 2022
Although “Essence” did not receive the much desired nomination in the category for “Record of the Year” at the 2022 Grammy Awards, it did get a nod for Best Global Music Performance, the first of its kind.
Irrespective of the snub, Nicki whilie on Joe Budden TV (YouTube) as a guest on the special episode tagged A Conversation With Nicki Minaj & Joe Budden agreed with the host (Joe Budden) when he said “We need people on the Grammy board that know that “Essence” was song of the year” with an exclamatory “Right! Right!” response. She even proffered, “We should have our own Grammy Board“, in support of many and the popular believe that Black Americans or black artistes in general are always stereotyped to a particular category at the award show, if indeed they made it to the top categories, they barely win; Nicki Minaj does not have a Grammy Award herself and that is still a shock to many, especially when considering her refined catalogue of music.
Pheelz & Buju (BNXN) live the carefree lifestyle on “Finesse”
After much teasing, the anticipated Finesse by Pheelz and Buju (now BNXN) hit DSPs across the globe and just like the teaser gave off, Finesse is a banger! It is produced by young producer under Pheelz’s wing known as Miichkel.
On Finesse, Pheelz and Buju live their life to the fullest, the carefree lifestyle is what they desire and they are determined to stay on that track for the time being. “I’ve been living the fast life but I see it in slow mo / And you see my lifestyle, I got Gs in the turbo / . . . / Bad girl sey she want Netflix & Chill / So I ja ticket give her warning / If you fall in love, girls it’s certain / You go chop breakfast, I’m not capping“, Pheelz explains on the first verse, even saying love and relationship cannot stop him from living the ‘ballers’ lifestyle; “I’d be dammed if there’s anybody that could be like me / I be like Mo’ Salah, coming up the right wing / I cut through your defender, you no need to tell me / I must finesse / And you know sey me I must net“, Buju braggingly adds on the second verse, saying he can score any chick that catches his eye and dish her the next minute.
listen to the popular joyous chorus “Ah finesse / If I broke na my business / Ama shana e go bright o / Folake for the nighr o” here or on Apple Music.: