Connect with us

Breaking News

20 Year-Old Journalist, Pelumi Onifade Reportedly Killed By Nigerian Police; NPF Withhold His Corpse from Family Members

Onifade was abducted and killed by the NPF; his corpse being withheld by the organisation

Published

on

On October 24, Pelumi Onifade and his media group, GBOAH TV, went down to Oko-Oba, Agege, Lagos State, to cover a developing news as reports had suggested residents of the community were distraught with claims that Covid-19 palliative were been stored in warehouse close to them and after months of the virus outbreak, no one has received any of the food meant for the citizens.

Onifade, 20 years of age and a student of Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) was covering an interview and gathering reports on what the residents had to say regarding the issue when men of the Task Force and Nigerian Police Force were reportedly said to have pulled up in their vans with bottles, cutlass and guns to disperse the growing crowd; they also were said to have live bullets in their guns which they used accordingly firing blanks in the air. Pelumi was said to have been last seen in the interview below:

The disruption caused by the Task Force and men of the NPF caused a lot of commotion as the crowd quickly ran helter-skelter in search for safety and not wanting to get hit by stray bullets. Pelumi Onifade and his colleagues did the same too but Onifade and some four others were reportedly confirmed to have been dragged into the Black Maria, a van used by the Task Force in attesting ‘hoodlums’.

Despite the fact Onifade had the customary media brown jacket (with GBOAH TV inscription) on him and clamouring for him to be freed by colleagues, the men of the Task Force and NPF turned deaf ears and carted away with Pelumi and the four others ‘hoodlums’. Reports suggest that men of the Task Force and Police threatened to shoot the young Onifade with gun pointed at his head and bottles used to warn others to back off. This caused a lot of fear for members of his colleagues and members of family as they quickly went to the nearby police station at Agege to report the incident and demand him be freed but he was denied freedom as the police claimed they did not have him in their custody or prisons.

On 27th of October, the news spread rapidly on social media and ‘Missing Person’ graphics of him were made to spread awareness of his abduction as his family begged for him be to allowed to go.

Photo of Onifade Pelumi

Fast forward to the evening of same day, Tuesday 27th, head of Task Force called on seeing the viral post and said to meet in Ikeja the next day, Wednesday 28th of October to discuss the issue. Wednesday came and they met with family and some colleagues of Onifade and the outcome was that the officer who lead the attack on the 24th confirmed to have arrested five people at the Ministry of Agriculture Abbatoir, Oko-Oba, but one person was said to have died and his body deposited at the mortuary in Ikorodu.

They scheduled for Thursday 28th of October to confirm if Onifade was listed among those arrested and if not, they will go to the morgue at Ikorodu to see if his corpse was there. Due to public holiday on Thursday, the meeting got postponed to Friday 29th and when they confirmed he was listed among names for arrested suspects but was not in their custody, they arranged to visit the mortuary at Ikorodu where they found the corpse of the young boy.

The news come as a shock to many as Pelumi Onifade was arrested by the Task Force led by Yinka Egbeyemi and Taiwo Akerele at Agege but killed with body deposited to the morgue so far as Ikorodu, probably to cover their tracks and further their denial of the act. This news comes just days after the Lekki massacre and weeks of protests against Police brutality in the country.

The hashtag #JusticeForPelumi has spread across popular social media platform, Twitter, as news have been gathered that the Police have refused to release his body to the family for burial rites and they also demand retribution for Pelumi on the officers responsible for this devious act. They also demand his family be compensated accordingly.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Breaking News

COVID-19: Germany records 1million cases

Published

on

Germany hits million infection cases as immunization question arises.

Germany, when an encouraging sign in Europe’s Covid nightmare, logged its one millionth case on Friday, as questions arose over exactly how much assurance is offered by one of the main immunization candidates.

Like a significant part of the mainland, Germany is fighting a resurgence of a pandemic that gives little indication of withdrawing before the arrival of a few driving immunizations.

However, the engineers of one of the punches, British pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, said Thursday that further examination was required after blended outcomes were delivered in a late-stage preliminary.

The confusion came as a large number of Americans assembled for Thanksgiving in disobedience of Covid-19 rules, notwithstanding the US enlisting a six-month high of in excess of 2,400 passings.

Germany had to a great extent contained the spread of the infection in the spring however has been hit hard by a second flood of diseases.

Its Robert Koch Institute for infectious prevention recorded in excess of 22,000 new day by day cases on Friday, pushing the nation’s absolute past the 1,000,000 imprint.

The quantity of Covid-19 patients in serious consideration cross country has taken off from a little more than 360 toward the beginning of October to in excess of 3,500 a week ago.

Europe’s greatest economy has covered cafés, bars, donning offices and social scenes, however schools and shops stay open. In any case, the principles will be briefly facilitated over Christmas and New Year to oblige the festivals, permitting gatherings of up to 10 grown-ups from December 23 to New Year’s Day.

Continue Reading

Trending

Breaking: Bitcoin crosses $19,000 for the first time since December 2017

Published

on

By

The pioneer digital coin broke above the critical resistance of $19,000 for the first time in nearly three years. At the time of writing, BTC/USD is changing hands at $18,980. 

Continue Reading

Trending

APC considering Jonathan as Buhari’s predecessor

Published

on

A report claims legislators in the APC are now attempting to find an appropriate official competitor for the 2023 political race.

It was announced that an ongoing visit by APC to ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan was partially political.

The visit by the APC lead representatives has again started with rumors about a Jonathan administration in 2023.

An arising report has asserted that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is attempting to persuade a previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, to run for president on its foundation in 2023.

The report which was conveyed by This Day asserted that a few heads of the gathering have been constraining the previous president to think about the offer.

The paper expressed that a source who talked secretly said lead representatives on the foundation of the APC who visited Jonathan to congratulate with him on his 63 birthday commemoration, utilized the event to inconspicuously speak to their official proposition to him.

As indicated by the cases, Buhari’s partners accept that Jonathan would be innocuous to their gathering interest and as such the perfect individual to dominate if control somehow happened to move toward the South.

A source in Buhari’s camp who would not like to be recognized was cited to have stated:

“He handed over power peacefully and nursed no bitterness against anyone and therefore will not be a threat to the interest of the north. In any case, Jonathan has in the past denied any interest in challenging for the administration.

The previous president clarified that he was centered around his foundation.

Then, following the tumults by some geo-political zones to create the following leader of Nigeria, the legislative head of Kogi state, Yahaya Bello, has uncovered the characteristics of who might become President Buhari’s replacement.

Bello when speaking Channels TV on Thursday, November 20, said the PDP’s ambition to take back power is a “lofty dream” and ”castles in the air.”

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: